Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Barking up the Wrong Mushroom

I'm neither mycologist nor arborist. Indeed, when it comes to identifying fungi, my utter inability exceeds my ignorance of tree species. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the impressive esthetics of each. Take these mushrooms, growing on a birch up north....


As for trees, there are those who can name a tree based on a brief glance at its bark. Not me. Well, I think I've got the birch down. At least, as a genus. But don't ask me to taxonomize the species....


Beyond the most rudimentary taxonomic identifications, however, I might as well be watching the old Monty Python routine involving the larch (And now, number two, the larch -- the...larch). This might be a larch, for all I know....


...but I just like the look of its bark.

No comments:

Post a Comment