Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Kayaking up the Yahara

After an extended stretch of uncooperative weather, my patience reached its limits a few days ago and I finally got the kayak out for its inaugural voyage of the season. Putting in at Olbrich Park, I paddled west along Lake Monona's north shore past Hudson and Yahara Place parks to the middle Yahara, and pointed my bow upstream. The water dynamics appeared vigorous as the river entered the lake, and it took about twice as long as usual to get up to the Tenney lock and dam. The current felt pushier than usual, so I was curious to know what might be going on at the locks. Were they letting more than the average volume of water vent downstream? Arriving at Tenney Park, I found a visual answer: What appeared to be quite a robust volume of water indeed was being released out of Lake Mendota, creating some of the liveliest swirls and eddies I've ever seen below the locks.



In an effort to quantify what I was seeing, I checked the US Geological Survey's data for its East Main Street water gauge. Sure enough, it was showing flows well above average for this time of year. The gauge height is reaing more than six feet -- two above its mean average for this time of year, and one above its median. At more than 430 cubic feet per second, the discharge rate has been at or near the 15-year records set last year, and almost triple the median average for the 15-year period of record. The stream's velocity, too, is running swift at about 1.5 to 1.6 feet per second. Match that with the volume and it's no wonder paddling upstream felt like slow going.

The ride back downsteam was a breeze, and took little effort -- more like sightseeing than kayaking....


The succession of railroad, automobile, bike and pedestrian bridges spanning the middle Yahara make this one of my favoirte places to paddle.


The distinctive way each bridge frames the next never fails to catch my eye...

But kayaking the middle Yahara also affords a waterborne perspective on its banks, and on the neighborhoods that flank it.....

Happiness,
David

No comments:

Post a Comment