Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Matterhorn in Context


My friend Darren Bush's recent visit to Sicily, and the extraordinary photos he has been posting to his blog at http://canoelover.blogspot.com/ are an inspiration to resume scanning my old European slides from the 1980s into digital format. This is an undertaking I began a couple years ago, but abandoned due to the overwhelming number of images I brought back. I'll get back to it as time allows. Meanwhile, here's an image of the Matterhorn from a week I spent in Zermatt in 1985. This might have been taken the day I hiked the rather precarious ridgeline to Hornlihutte, the staging facility from which those who climb the Matterhorn start. I lacked the means and nerve to hire a guide to lead me up its steeps. Instead, I spent my week in Zermatt hiking a different mountain trail every day. Rothorn was a favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment